Tragedy Reading Group Video Discussion: Sophocles’ Oedipus at Colonus
The latest discussion by the Tragedy Reading Group continued the conversation about Oedipus at Colonus, started last week.
You can watch on the YouTube page, or below.
Topics discussed included:
- mēnis in Oedipus at Colonus and Eumenides, and its role for heroes as agents of dikē
- the ancient curse of the family of Harmonia
- recognition — or lack of recognition — of visual signs and of sounds
- the absence of Sparta in Athenian drama
- the role of Zeus and Apollo
- the Bronze-Step Threshold and the Krater
- the demands of Polyneikes and Creon
- the role of Theseus
- Oedipus’ choice of final resting place
Picture credit: Head of an old man in a coverlet, . Marble. Mid-1st century B.C. Rome, Vatican Museums, Wikimedia Commons