Tragedy Reading Group Video Discussion: Sophocles’ Oedipus at Colonus
|August 21, 2014||Filled under Topic for Discussion||
The latest discussion by the Tragedy Reading Group continued the conversation about Oedipus at Colonus, started last week.
You can watch on the YouTube page, or below.
Topics discussed included:
- mēnis in Oedipus at Colonus and Eumenides, and its role for heroes as agents of dikē
- the ancient curse of the family of Harmonia
- recognition — or lack of recognition — of visual signs and of sounds
- the absence of Sparta in Athenian drama
- the role of Zeus and Apollo
- the Bronze-Step Threshold and the Krater
- the demands of Polyneikes and Creon
- the role of Theseus
- Oedipus’ choice of final resting place
Picture credit: Head of an old man in a coverlet, . Marble. Mid-1st century B.C. Rome, Vatican Museums, Wikimedia Commons