Kosmos Society: An Online Community for Classical Studies
The Kosmos Society (formerly called Hour 25) is a vibrant online community for Humanistic study with a focus on the the Classical World and its rich connections to our modern lives. Through collaborative partnership with Harvard’s Center for Hellenic Studies and the work of dedicated community members, the Kosmos Society provides access to a growing collection of resources and an international community of learners who care about close reading and thoughtful dialogue.
We use a collaborative model and online tools to enable independent and community-led study of ancient languages and texts, and we strive to document our progress and procedures openly. Through our experimentation, we hope to develop new readings and models that can be applied beyond our community to help enhance online education.
We welcome new participants and partners who are interested in advancing meaningful, civil discourse on a wide variety of topics in Classics. To join in the conversation, please email email@example.com.
Introducing the Editorial Team
The Editorial Team includes active Kosmos Society participants, CHS staff members, and members of the HeroesX Board of Readers. It is currently coordinated by Kosmos Society members, Janet, Sarah, and Hélène, with Keith Stone acting as liaison with CHS.
The team, in collaboration with other members, explores ways to enhance the experience for the whole of the Kosmos Society community, and encourages a flow of ideas and communication with all members. If you are interested in contributing a blog post or working with the team on the development of the website, or in suggesting new initiatives, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Their aim is to:
- nurture a civil, positive, and supportive environment to create a welcoming community
- provide all participants with diverse opportunities for engagement whether fun, social, or academic
- work collaboratively on projects that can be shared with the Kosmos Society community, such as word studies, or collaborating on annotations
- reach out to established and new scholars to discuss their work and ideas
- engage in different approaches to the texts, such as close readings and focus passages, reading of new texts, secondary sources, and Book Club gatherings
Projects: Content, Community, and Conversation
Special projects that are underway continue to develop the vision. They include:
- development of a library of resources that is accessible for anyone to read or watch who has an interest in classical culture and texts
- growing content-rich series of blog posts, which the public can access without restrictions to learn about Ancient Greek, Roman, and other related literature, language, and many other topics related to the classical studies (note that the views expressed in such articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of CHS)
- special word-study group projects that go beyond the translated word
- learning modules with introductions to ancient Greek, and to online tools that facilitate the study of texts; and the formation of study groups
- CHS Online Open House discussions in which Kosmos Society participants engage in dialogue on focus passages and texts, with guests associated with the Center for Hellenic Studies and the wider research community (see the Scholars page for a full list)
- Book Club, which meets monthly by Google+ Hangout and in the Forum to discuss texts and secondary sources
- informal interaction between members of the community, through the Forums, video conferencing, and live events such as community readings, in a way that is supportive, friendly, and fun
- Community Book Shelf, where you can post and discuss other books
- HeroesX Facebook page, CHS Facebook page, and Twitter
Please follow this link for more information about the HeroesX project.
Would you like to become more involved?
We are continually seeking to involve new participants interested in advancing meaningful, civil discourse on topics relevant to classical studies.
If you are interested in joining one of the projects or initiatives, please email email@example.com, or post in the Forums.